Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Intro

Starting a new blog feels like a toddler learning to walk...I have all this history that clarifies internally what I'm doing, but I still feel like I'm taking steps in an unfamiliar, darkened room.

Let me give as brief a history as I'm comfortable with: I'm 38. So is my husband. (Let's name him, shall we? We'll call him George.) We were both raised in a very conservative Christian religion (Mormon...and I don't care to argue about if it's Christian or not, because I just don't care) in different parts of the US. We married in our young 20's and have had a very successful, happy marriage with some kids.

In our mid-30's, we made an amazing discovery. Mormonism is provably false. (Not here to argue that, either.) It totally rocked our world, quite unpleasantly at first. Our lives shifted in ways we never thought possible, and we grew from that shift. We started drawing our own conclusions about social norms and morality. We were – to my great surprise – happier than we'd ever been. Closer than we'd ever been, and our marriage had always been good.

A couple of years later, we read Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Calcida Jethá. What followed was another shock as we internalized and analyzed and considered more information we hadn't really approached before, and we felt another huge paradigm shift take place. Namely, that of monogamy.

I'll attempt a quick summation of our previous beliefs on morality and our current worldview:

Previous – Marry as virgins.

Current – Why would you marry as a virgin? Wouldn't it be better to understand your own sexuality before deciding who you're comfortable sharing it with for the rest of your life? Other than a belief in a judgmental god or an inability to practice safe sex, I don't see any good reasoning here.

Previous – Never have any sexual thoughts about anyone but your spouse. Sinner.

Current – Biologically impossible for most of us. Makes sense, considering our anthropological background.

Previous – Be good, go to heaven, have sex with your spouse forever.

Current – Don't believe in heaven, and I'm not really interested in living forever. It's a long, dang time. I'm more concerned about living fully right now, with my feet on provable earth, breathing provable air. I'm going to enjoy being in love with my spouse as long as we are here, since my life is fulfilling and beautiful and amazing.

Previous – Being good includes being monogamous.

Current – Humans are not really monogamous creatures. Of sexually active humans (let's set the bar low...twice a year?), what percent only have sex with one partner their entire lives? (I'm going to have to research that...I can only find information on monogamy while married.) The fact that I have to research the issue means we all know the percentage is not 100, or even close to it. It's not because we're inherently evil or untrustworthy; in fact, you can trust that we will at least consider snuggling, fondling, kissing, and/or having sex with other humans no matter how monogamous we are. Read Sex at Dawn, for goodness sake. If you disagree with a full half of the anthropological conclusions in that book, it will still enlighten you. We are not wired to be monogamous, though we find great happiness and fulfillment in strong relationships. Those relationships, however, can break down when we have incorrect assumptions about sexuality. So let's define good as having a sincere, affecting interest in the welfare of humanity and having a giving, honest relationship with your loved one, whatever that relationship may be.


So much more to cover, but I can't type all day. There you have the start.

15 comments:

  1. Sex at Dawn is paradigm changing. Our current systems of marriage, pair-bonding and child-raising are so broken, its so sad and I am very ready for change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, fellow travelers. Your blog post is being discussed on the Facebook "Sex at Dawn" site. I'm a writer who has chronicled the polyamory community in Utah which includes several ex-Mos (like me) and some who are still holding a membership card. :) Enjoy:

    catalystmagazine.net/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1572:polyamory-respectable-non-monogamy?

    http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-14040-bigger-love.html?current_page=all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, unknown, will you let me know where to find that discussion?

      Interesting articles! There's so much to discuss...

      Delete
  3. We listened to the audio version of Sex At Dawn on a road trip last year, and while we - Jack especially - were already skeptical of monogamy, it was very validating.

    We are pleased to have discovered your blog through Sex at Dawn's Facebook page, and we look very forward to reading more.

    -Jack and Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start. I am a married man and my wife and I also recently read S@D. I'm not sure where it will lead so your initial post is very intriguing. Will be quite upset if you don't post again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post tomorrow, but this won't be a fast novel, so you'll have to be patient. I don't know where it's leading, either. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm happy you and your husband found Sex at Dawn. I read the book right after it came out and it made me realize how screwed up a 'normal' living situation is in contrast to how we evolved including the damage which often accompanies insular marriages and the closed off nuclear family. My only advice is to not let people and things come between you and your husband including your own needs and desires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your advice, Joshua. That's a subject for much posting in the future, I assure you, and very valuable advice.

      Delete
  6. am reading sex at dawn at the moment, finally something that makes sense to me and all that i am. please keep blogging, would love to see how you can incorporate all this into your marriage/life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to hear your story of discovering Mormonism to be provably false.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I don't really want this blog to be about Mormonism, but I'm happy to discuss it a bit in the comments.

      My experience showed me that evidence against the one-and-only claims is everywhere if you look, and I looked. The scientific method is a good place to start, and in fact has been the best thing I've ever embraced in life.

      Are you currently Mormon, or just curious?

      Here are a couple of places I started, and then sourced all the reference material from there and kept digging:
      wikipedia.org, esp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_abraham
      wivesofjosephsmith.org
      mormonthink.com
      An Insider's View of Mormon Origins by Grant Palmer

      Delete
  8. Found your blog through the Sex at Dawn Facebook page. Hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adria, could you point to where this discussion is? I'm unable to find it. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I was concerned you wouldn't post more than just the intro. :( Be happy to help if there's anything you need.

    ReplyDelete